Bob is a business litigator and trial lawyer with deep, successful experience in managing and trying “bet the company” cases. This includes complex cases from mass torts to a myriad of unfair competition, corporate governance and other business issues. He has been national liaison counsel in MDL and state coordinated proceedings. He is accomplished at dealing with medical, scientific or financial issues.
He often seeks temporary restraining orders and similar remedies to quickly cut to the core of business cases, avoiding prolonged litigation. For example:
- A startup internet firm was far into developing a platform for internet gaming and related streaming technology when the international licensor of an iconic game withdrew licensing rights. A TRO application led to a resolution within days.
- A regional utility without notice downgraded the voltage of a transmission line providing power to a geothermal generating plant, damaging the plant and halting power production. A TRO in federal court quickly restored capacity;
When a ban of a client’s medical device was threatened in Europe, he directed intricate regulatory efforts to gain approval for sale of the device in the European Union. He then led the defense team to multiple verdicts and settled nearly 3,000 related U.S. cases.
Bob also derives great satisfaction from helping small companies and individuals with legal issues, including elder abuse – a common and serious problem. He handles both plaintiff and defendant personal injury cases.
He appears in approximately twenty reported appellate decisions including California and United States Supreme Court opinions.
United States Supreme Court, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth and Eleventh Circuits, the United States Court of Federal Claims (Vaccine Court), United States District Courts throughout California, and for the Northern District of Georgia, State Bars of California and Georgia, and as Pro Hac Vice in a score of federal and state courts.
Bob is a challenged but committed golfer. He appreciates good wines and nearly any brand of college football. He is a nine-time finisher of the 195mile Hood to Coast relay. He and his wife Kathy travel extensively. They have three accomplished adult children.
J.D. University of Southern California, Law Review Editorial Board, Order of the Coif.
M.B.A. University of California at Los Angeles, Finance.
B.S. University of Utah, Accounting, Summa Cum Laude.
American Red Cross: Los Angeles-Orange County Chapter
- Outside General Counsel, Chapter Board of Directors and Audit Committee;
- Parliamentarian, National Conference American Red Cross, Washington, D.C.
California State Bar Board of Governors, Judge Pro Tem, Los Angeles County Courts.
Federal Courts Committee of the California Bar,
- Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference, invited attendee.
California Judges’ Association, presenter: Courtroom Technology in complex cases.
Volunteer, Habitat for Humanity.
Truancy Intervention Project (Atlanta).
Lecturer: ABA Litigation Section, Defense Research Institute (DRI), Georgia CLE.
Paul Harris Fellow, Rotary International.
Commissioner, Nevada Theater Commission